Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Meet the Doula


My name is Amy. I am a 31 year-old mother of two small sons, and the wife of an accountant. In a previous life I was a social worker and a high school counselor. I live in Dallas, Oregon (about 10 miles West of Salem). Through my own experiences of birth, one an interventive, two-day induction and the other a drug-free, natural experience, I developed a passion to work with women, helping them achieve the birth of their dreams.

The first time I heard the word doula was from the childbirth educator who was teaching the class I attended before the birth of my first son. She, herself, worked as a doula, and I just thought it was the strangest thing that anyone would want a complete stranger to attend their birth. When I found myself pregnant again, several years later, and feeling a lot of anxiety about how my second birth might play out, I thought about the prospect of hiring a doula for myself. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made, and I attribute the presence of my doula to helping me achieve the peaceful, natural birth I had dreamed of.

That experience inspired me to pursue doula training through DONA (Doulas of North America) and to learn as much as I can about pregnancy and childbirth. I love to listen to others' birth stories, and I believe sharing our stories can help spread a positive message about birth in our society. I hope to include birth stories on this blog. Please email me at sweetpeasdoula@gmail.com if you would like to learn more about how a doula can assist you in your labor and delivery.

2 comments:

kg said...

Love this picture of you, wish you lived closer to my neighborhood, so I could one day use your services!

Julia said...

Amy this looks great! This is very informative. I think any woman who is considering having a doula would be completely convinced after reading this. You and Kim did a great job on this site!-Julia