Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Joys (and Ease) of Babywearing

My sister carrying my niece, Ava, in a ring sling while touring the fabric district in L.A.

I knew when I had my second child that I wanted a way to keep baby attached to me during the day, so that I was able to have my hands free to care for my older son. I had used a Baby Bjorn when my first was small, but that caused my back to ache and I don't think it was very comfortable for baby. So I did a lot of research and eventually had a ring sling made for me, and then went on to make my own pouch and then a mei tai. I was bitten by the baby wearing bug.
Charlie loved the pouch!


There are so many carrier options, that with a little bit of research parents can find the perfect carrier (or carriers) to suit their lifestyle. A good place to start is The Babywearer website. There you will find descriptions of different carriers, reviews of particular products and the vendors that sell them. Locally, there is a babywearing group that gathers regularly to troubleshoot issues, try on different carriers and promote the idea of babywearing.

Charlie, as a newborn, cuddled in my ring sling.

I wish I had pictures of me wearing my children as they have gotten older, but with the right carrier it is possible to carry your child until they are over 30 pounds with no discomfort. It makes having a stroller pretty obsolete. And making dinner with a fussy baby who wants to be held a piece of cake.

2 comments:

Ditto Family said...

Man, I checked out that baby wearing website---crazy how many ways people are "wearing" their baby.

Wendyrful said...

I love this! I've been slinging my kids for nearly 12 years. Before I had my baby (nearly 2 now)I hadn't had a little one for several years. (5 1/2 years between my last two). One day I had a package that HAD to be mailed at the post office! I picked up my daughter from pre-school (4years old), and drove to the post office. While driving she fell fast ASLEEP! I had to get the package mailed and it was too big to carry her and the package... so I still had a sling in my car, threw it on, threw her in it, and seh stayed asleep nearly until I was nearly finished at the post office. For the next two weeks she would pretend to be asleep every time we went anywhere, so that I would carry her in the sling! she missed being little! Last christmas we went to Disney World, and both my husband and I had a sling. I had the little one, 1 yr old, and he would change out between our 6 and 8 yr olds at night when they'd be sleepy and tired from a long day.